Have you looked in the mirror at your teeth and wished they were whiter and brighter? But is your tight budget keeping you from buying teeth whitening products? A lack of money shouldn't keep you from the white teeth you are after. There are plenty of items you likely already have around your home that can help you to whiten your teeth, while still keeping your budget in check. While some of these are fairly well-known, such as using baking soda, there are some unique ways to whiten your teeth out there. Here are a few of the lesser known ways you can whiten your teeth inexpensively and with items you likely already have at home.
Rubbing burnt toast on your teeth can help to whiten them. The reason it is believed that this works is because the abrasiveness in the toast. The abrasiveness helps to scrape away stains, leaving you with a whiter smile. Follow these steps to whiten your teeth with burnt toast:
- Burn a piece of toast in your toaster. You want it to have a nice char on it.
- Crush the piece of burnt toast. You can use a blender, food processor, mortar and pestle or crush it up in a bowl with the handle end of a wooden spoon.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of honey to the crushed bread. There should be enough honey so that your mixture has a paste-like consistency to it. If you are diabetic, or you are allergic to honey, you can use toothpaste or a mixture of equal parts water and baking soda in lieu of honey.
- Scoop some of the mixture up and place it on a toothbrush. Brush your teeth in the same manner you normally do. Do not brush more vigorously than normal or you can irritate your gums. As you brush, the toast may become soggy. Rinse your toothbrush and scoop up some more of the mixture to ensure you have crispy, abrasive toast rubbing against your teeth at all times. Continue this process until the mixture is gone.
- Rinse your mouth with cool water to remove any leftover particles.
If your teeth are not as white as you would like, but you have an event to attend, you may be looking to brighten them up quickly. Applying Vaseline to the teeth is a trick used by models and beauty pageant contestants. Simply coat your teeth in a thin layer of Vaseline to make them look cleaner, shinier and brighter. This tricks people into thinking your teeth are whiter than they really are. And an added bonus is that coating your teeth in Vaseline helps to protect them from foods that stain, such as soda, coffee and red wine.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Another way you can whiten your teeth is by rinsing your teeth with apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is a strong cleaning agent that is slightly acidic. The acidity helps to remove stains from your teeth, whitening them. Using apple cider vinegar also helps to kill the bacteria in your mouth that cause gum disease and prevent new stains from forming. Follow these steps to whiten your teeth using this method:
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with a cup of warm water and swirl so the ingredients are combined.
- Gargle the mixture in your mouth every morning. Be sure to swirl the mixture around the front of your teeth for best results.
- Brush your teeth after gargling. It is important to do this after each use to remove any acidity the vinegar mixture leaves behind.
- Repeat this process daily for long-lasting results.
If your teeth are not as white as you would like, there are a number of ways to whiten them. However, if money is tight, you may be looking for cheap and inexpensive ways to whiten your teeth. Using burnt toast, Vaseline and apple cider vinegar are all relatively inexpensive ways to whiten your smile. However, it is important to note that some stubborn stains may not lift with at-home treatments. If your teeth are still yellow after trying different whitening methods, be sure to speak with a specialist in cosmetic dentistry. They can whiten your teeth professionally, helping to lift stubborn stains.